July 28, 2010

some information, if you will...

As actors we often get asked a lot of (oh how do I say....) bold questions by the general public.  Here are some answers to the more frequently asked questions.

q.  Is this your job...I mean, do you get paid?
a.  Ahem, yes we get paid.  Weekly in fact, and we are on salary.  I have a company who contributes to my 401k, I pay taxes (lots of taxes), we receive vacations and sick days like any other job.  This is a job, not a hobby.

q.  How much do you get paid?
a.  How much do you get paid?  See...not a tactful question.  We are compensated for the many hours and demands we put into our work.

q.  How old are you?
a.  This question is usually asked to the ensemble group of girls when the questioner assumes we are silly girls right out of college living a silly girls dream.  {Thank you for thinking we are so young :)}  I am a young professional and have been working and seeking work in the business for many years. 

q. Did you go to college?
a.  Yes, I went to college at Brigham Young University and received my BFA.  I would say that almost 100% of the women's ensemble in my show went to college to receive a Bachelor's degree, or went to an accredited training school for performing. 

q. Did you have to "try-out" for this show?
a.  Ha!  Um, yes.  We all had our own individual experience with auditioning for the show.  Imagine, if you will, that there is a large city of talented people all vying for just a few positions.  Needless to say, It is a very competitive field. 

q.  What will you do when your time with the show ends?
a.  I wish I knew more specifically, but for now I will go back to NYC and keep auditioning for more work.

q.  Do you have to travel your costumes?
a.  No, we are a very large touring company with 17 semi trucks which move our very large set, wardrobe, make-up, hair, props, sound, and management departments stuff around the country.  The costumes, designed by Tony Award Winner Susan Hilferty are taken care of by the wardrobe department and are constantly being maintained in order for them to look as brilliant as they do the first day as the last.  As you can imagine they are VERY expensive and need to be treated with ultimate care in order to last for about 416 shows a year. 

Yes, it can be difficult to take some of the questions on occasion, but for the most part I know they are asked in sincerity, just trying to understand this life.  It is different, but in many cases it is the same as any other job.  I have bosses, upper management, co-workers, schedules, meetings, etc. as you probably do in your job.  Fortunately for me, I get to be dress-up, play pretend and receive applause at the end of my work day :)

Any other questions?  Ask me on Formspring

Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails