November 12, 2008

wicked costume fitting

Here are the pics I have from my costume fitting day for Wicked. It was AWESOME. Here's how it went down:

1. Met my handler and was taken to a fantastic costume design house. I was basically measured in every way imaginable!
2. Went to another costume design house and was measured in every way imaginable again! Because of the vast number of intricate and ornate costumes I will be wearing (between my character and Madame Morrible) I was told that many different places are used to build the costumes.
3. Went to an all out, classic Broadway shoe maker. {SEE PICTURE BELOW} It smelled like leather and polish and was filled with shoe molds. The owner of the shop took measurements of both feet and sketches because every shoe I wear in the show will be custom made to my feet! We discovered that my left foot is slightly longer than my right :)
4. Went to another (swankier) shoe maker and we did all of the same measurements. This is where I began to tire of taking off my boots and socks....
5. Went to the Wicked Costume offices and was measured some more...this time more intricate measurements--head, hands, feet (again), etc. Saw all of my sketches and started to get REALLY excited! My costumes are beyond gorgeous....one of my gowns is worth over $10,000!
6. Was taken to yet another shoe maker....LaDuca (they are the reason I have a huge scar on my left leg--long story). They took lots of measurements and marked up the back of my legs (they will be making some boots I wear, among other heels). I noticed yesterday in the shower the marks were still kind of there! I'll scrub a little harder next time :)

7. Lastly we went to the wig designer. {SEE PICTURE BELOW} This was so cool, because they took a mold (made of plastic and tape) of my head, sketched my hairline and will make all of my wigs according to my head! The wigs are beautiful, and very designed. My wigs have a "round" theme to them, and the Morrible wigs are incredible. They showed me as the show goes on and her wickedness starts to show, the hairline goes back farther and farther resulting in a more severe look by the end. Great concept!

All in all it was a FANTASTIC experience and was everything I thought costumes for a Broadway show would be like!

7 comments:

Ali said...

WOW how exciting!! I want to be a costume designer for theatre, and Wicked is exactly the sort of thing I want to do! there were so many times in the show I just wanted to get everyone to stand still so I could draw all their costumes!

Kim said...

I just happen to find your blog and congrats on getting Wicked. I wish I would see you on tour but I live near NYC so I get to see it on Broadway.

Greedy Kristian said...

I stumbled across your blog a few weeks ago through a friend of a friend of a friend. Anyway, I am a huge Wicked fan. I've seen it twice and plan on seeing it when it comes to SLC. I have loved reading about the behind the scenes. Congrats on getting casted, and thanks for showing us outsiders what its like on the inside. Very fascinating and fun.

sommer said...

Wow! That's amazing!!! I can't wait to see the final product!

maggie said...

Thanks for the inside look, it is really interesting for us on the "outside". Isn't it weird how feet are? When I was a skater, I found out one foot was longer than the other one when I got measured for my skates. Kinda freaky! Anyhow, thanks for sharing, I always enjoy your blog entries!

karlee said...

You wouldn't know any details about ticket sales, would you? They say they haven't gone on sale here in Utah yet, but some websites are offering them, and I know people who already have theirs too!
I'm a little worried...

Saucy said...

What a wonderful opportunity for you. We are big Wicked fans in this house, we've been twice in Chicago. Good luck on tour!

Related Posts with Thumbnails